While Apple’s AirPlay is a great way to connect your iPhone, iPadand Mac to your TV for wireless playback, it isn’t the only option available. Google offers Chromecast, a budget-friendly alternative to AirPlay that also enables wireless playback acrossiOS and macOS, along with Windows and, of course, Android.
But how do you use Chromecast on your iPhone or Mac? Don’t worry, here we’ll explain everything you need to know about connecting an iOS or macOS device to Chromecast.If you’ve got an Apple TV, you might be more interested inhow to use AirPlay.
What is Chromecast?
Before we go into the specifics of connecting an iOS or macOS device to Chromecast, let’s first explain what Chromecast is, and why you might not need to head out and buy one.
Chromecast was introduced way back in the summer of 2013, and enabled a way for users to wirelessly stream content to their TV, much like Apple’s AirPlay – but there are a few differences between the two.
The main difference is to do withthelimitations of using Chromecast with iOS when compared to Android. While many Android phones offer a way to mirror the device’s display to Chromecast, it’s currently not possible for iOS users. We expect this is in part due to limitations set by Apple’s App Store regulations, and, of course, Apple wants iOS users to use its own built-in option, AirPlay.
It’s also worth noting thatGoogle’s cloud-based game streaming service, Stadia, is due out in the coming months, andwill be accessible viaa Chromecast device plugged into your TV.
If you’re yet to pick one up, thethird-gen Chromecastbe found from the likes of Currys PC World, Argos, John Lewis and of course Google for only £30. For those that want a little more, Google also offers the 4K HDR-enabled Chromecast Ultra for £69.
But before you go out and buy one, it’s probably worth checking your TV owner’s manual first as many recent smart TVs offer built-in Chromecast at no extra cost. It also comes as standard on some media streamers, like the 4K-enabled Nvidia Shield.
Once you’ve got your hands on a Chromecast, setup is as easy as plugging it into your TV and following the on-screen instructions. It’s once the setup has been completed that things start to get a little more interesting.
How to use Chromecast on iPhone
So, you’ve got your Chromecast set up – now what? While AirPlay is built into iOS, Google must approach Chromecast support in a different way. While there’s a Chromecast app available for iOS, it only offers the ability to edit settings on the Chromecast itself – connect to a different WiFi network, etc. Instead, Chromecast playback is offered on a per-app basis, with the developer of the app having to specifically code in Chromecast support.
Which iOS streaming apps offer Chromecast support? While there’s a growing list, here are a few of our favourites:
- Google Play Movies and TV
- BBC iPlayer
- Now TV
- BBC Sport
- BT Sport
We’ll be using Netflix as an example to explain how to connect your iOS device to Chromecast, but rest assured that the process is almost identical across all supported apps.
So, first things first, download the Netflix app and sign in to your account. Once signed in, you should notice a Cast icon in the top-right hand corner of the app – it looks like a TV with waveforms in the bottom-left hand corner, and is hard to miss. If you can’t see the icon, make sure that your Chromecast is powered on and is connected to the same WiFi network as your iPhone.
Once the icon appears, simply tap it and select the appropriate Chromecast from your list of devices (if you’ve only got a single Chromecast then it should automatically connect). Once the connection has been established, the Cast icon should turn blue.
Once connected, simply browse the vast selection of TV shows and Movies that Netflix has to offer – don’t worry, unlike with Netflix’s offline viewing feature, Chromecast playback is available with the entire Netflix library. Once you’ve found the TV show or movie you want to play on your TV, tap on it as if you were going to watch it on your phone.
It should then cast to your TV, offering playback control via your iOS device – although not via the lock screen as is possible with local iOS media playback.
As mentioned above, the process is similar across all Chromecast-enabled apps – simply tap the Chromecast icon to connect to your device, then select the media you’d like to play on your TV.
How to use Chromecast on Mac
While iOS Chromecast support is fairly straight forward, the waters are slightly muddier when it comes to Mac support. Don’t worry, we’ll explain everything, but before we go any further it’s probably worth mentioning that you must use Google Chrome to Cast via Mac, so download that if you haven’t already got it. There’s no other alternative, sorry Safari users!
Some website offer native Chromecast support, including the likes of Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies and Google Play Music. Those that offer native Chromecast support offer a Cast icon within the site itself, as opposed to the one featured on Chrome’s toolbar. If you try to use the Cast button on the toolbar when a website has native support, it’ll direct you to use the Cast button on the site instead.
We’ll be using BBC iPlayer as an example for now, but as mentioned above, the process is fairly universal across all supported websites. Once you’ve found the TV show or movie on Netflix that you’d like to watch on your TV, start playing it locally on your Mac. You should notice a Cast button on the right-hand side of the media controls, next to the button to make the video full-screen. Click on it and select the Chromecast you’d like to Cast to.
Your Mac should then connect to the Chromecast and your selected TV show or movie should begin playback shortly after. As with iOS devices, your Mac will offer media playback controls via the Netflix website. Fun fact: you can still browse the web on other Chrome tabs, check emails or even put your Mac to sleep.
While that’s the best way to Cast media to your TV from your Mac, there is an option available for websites that don’t officially offer Chromecast support – although it’s not perfect.
Simply click on the three dots in the top-right hand corner of the Chrome browser to access the Settings menu, then select “Cast…” and the appropriate Chromecast to mirror the website to your TV. A Cast icon should appear in the toolbar, and should turn blue to signify that it’s connected to a Chromecast. FYI: you can right-click the icon and select “Always show icon” to keep it in your toolbar if required.
This method works best with text-based sites (like ours) as issues arise when trying to play unsupported videos via Chromecast. When trying to Cast websites with unsupported videos, there are various problems: while you may be able to cast embedded videos, the audio track won’t be sent to the TV and will play via your Mac’s speakers. If you do try to enable full-screen mode, the video completely stops on the TV and will instead display the site with no video, while the video plays full-screen locally on your Mac.
It’s worth noting that this isn’t totally down to Google – website developers have the authority to not only improve the Cast functionality, but to completely block it from being used too.
Now you know more about Chromecast, take a look at ourApple TV vs Google Chromecast Ultracomparison to see which is best for you.
Does Chromecast work with iPhone and Mac? ›
You can connect a Chromecast to your iPhone using the Google Home app. Once you've linked your streaming accounts to the Google Home app, you can control your Chromecast with your iPhone. To connect your iPhone to the Chromecast, they'll both need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.How do I Chromecast from my Mac to my iPhone? ›
On your iPhone, tap the “M” button at the lower center of the screen. Choose the name of your Mac on the detected devices to connect. Select “computer screen mirroring” and then hit “start now”. Your Mac is now mirrored to your iPhone.How do I stream movies from my Mac to Chromecast? ›
- Connect your Chromecast media player to a TV.
- After downloading Airflow on your Mac, activate the PRO version. ...
- Open the application and drag the video you want to play over the app window.
- Press the AirPlay icon in the app and choose the Chromecast.
- Now your media can be viewed on the big screen.
- Go to Smart View > Tap on More Options (three vertical dots).
- Tap Settings > Phone aspect ratio.
- Select Full screen on connected device to make it a full screen.
Cast your computer screen
On your computer, open Chrome. Cast. click Cast screen. Choose the Chromecast device you want to cast your screen on.
- Download and install X-Mirage on your Mac. ...
- Swipe down from the top of your Android device to reveal the Quick Settings panel.
- Look for and select a button labeled Cast.
- A list of Chromecast devices on your network will show up. ...
- Your Android screen will appear on the Mac.
Can iPhones Cast to Chromecast? Your iPhone is compatible with Chromecast devices. You can use the two devices together without any problems. All you need to do is connect them to the same wireless network and use the Google Home app to link your streaming services to your Google account.How do I cast video from iPhone to TV? ›
- Connect your device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV.
- Find the video that you want to stream.
- Tap AirPlay . ...
- Choose your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV.
Enable Bluetooth on both devices; iPhone and Mac. Now find your iPhone on Mac by selecting “Search for Devices”. Choose your iPhone from the available devices list and then touch Pair. After successful completion of all steps, your iPhone screen will display on Mac.Why wont my Chromecast connect to my iPhone? ›
Make sure Local Network Access is enabled
On your iOS device's home screen (iOS 14 or later), tap Settings. Local Network. You'll find a list of apps. Turn on Local Network Access for the app(s) you would like to allow access to your network.
Why is my Mac not casting to Chromecast? ›
Make sure the Chromecast is connected to the same WiFi network as your Mac and is positioned within range of your router. If your Mac is unable to find your Chromecast check your Wifi or switch your Mac's WiFi network to 2.4 GHz mode instead of 5GHZ or mixed.How do I connect my Mac to my TV to cast? ›
- Make sure your Mac and Apple TV are on the same network.
- Click Control Center in the menu bar, click the Screen Mirroring icon , then choose your Apple TV.
- If asked, enter a four-digit code on your Mac.
- Make sure that your AirPlay-compatible devices are turned on and near each other.
- Check that the devices are updated to the latest software and are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Restart the devices that you want to use with AirPlay or screen mirroring.
Cast your screen from your Android device
Make sure your mobile phone or tablet is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast device. Touch and hold the tile of the device you want to cast your screen to. Cast screen.
Can I use Android screen mirroring to TV in full screen? Yes, you can mirror an Android screen to your TV. Some phones, such as Samsung phones, have aspect ratio settings. You can mirror the full screen to the connected device.How do I make my Iphone full screen on my TV HDMI? ›
Setup is easy: Just plug the HDMI cable into your TV on one end and the adapter on the other, plug the Lightning cable into your iOS device, and set the TV to the appropriate input.Does Chromecast allow screen mirroring? ›
Step 2. Cast your screen from your Android device. Make sure your mobile phone or tablet is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast device. Touch and hold the tile of the device you want to cast your screen to.How can I display my phone screen on my TV? ›
- Connect your smart TV and your phone or tablet to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open a video in your preferred app, then tap the Cast icon.
- Select your TV from the list.
- You'll see your video playing on your TV.
macOS Ventura: Choose Apple menu > System Settings, click General in the sidebar, click AirPlay & Handoff on the right, then turn on AirPlay Receiver. macOS 12.5 or earlier: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Sharing, then select and turn on AirPlay Receiver.How do I cast from safari to Chromecast on Mac? ›
- Select Cast from the dropdown menu. ...
- Click the Chromecast icon in the bottom right corner. ...
- Select "Cast to" on the top of your screen. ...
- Select which source you want to cast. ...
- You can share your Mac's screen with Chromecast.
How do I cast from iPhone to computer? ›
- Open the Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of the device screen or swiping down from the top right corner of the screen (varies by device and iOS version).
- Tap the “Screen Mirroring” or “AirPlay” button.
- Select your computer.
- Your iOS screen will show on your computer.
If you don't get a prompt:
- Open your iPhone or iPad's 'Settings' app.
- Tap Bluetooth turn on Bluetooth.
- Go back to the 'Settings' main page.
- Tap Privacy Local network turn on Google Home app.
- Go back to the Google Home app. .
- From your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Home app.
- Tap the left hand navigation to open the menu.
- Tap Cast screen / audio and select your TV.
- Take Your HDMI Cable, and find the HDMI Port on your TV.
- Then, plug the HDMI into the TV.
- Use the other side of the HDMI cable to connect to the adapter.
- Plug your phone in.
- Go to the HDMI input on your TV and your phone should be mirroring already!
First, connect the Apple Digital AV Adapter to your TV's HDMI port. Next, connect the USB cable to the Apple Digital AV Adapter and to your iPhone. Finally, turn on your TV and choose the input source corresponding to the Apple Digital AV Adapter.Can I screen mirror through Bluetooth? ›
Bluetooth is a feature that also establishes a wireless connection between two devices. Bluetooth can be used to screen mirror your phone to TV but because it's too slow, you will not enjoy the full features of a proper screen mirror connection. This connection by Bluetooth is not always recommended.What happens when you connect iPhone to Mac via Bluetooth? ›
Using Bluetooth, you can connect your iPhone to your Mac to sync iTunes wirelessly on both devices. Or you can do this to connect to a Personal Hotspot, which lets you share the cellular data connection of your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) when you don't have access to a Wi-Fi network.Can I connect my iPhone to my Mac wirelessly? ›
You can sync your Mac and device when they're connected over same Wi-Fi network. To set up Wi-Fi syncing, first connect your device to your Mac using a USB or USB-C cable. You then turn on Wi-Fi syncing and choose the settings you want.Why is my phone not casting to Chromecast? ›
First, make sure that the Google Home app on your smartphone has the necessary location permissions. If Chrome cast not working or doesn't show up in the Google Home app, at first, make sure it is plugged in and switched on. After that, Check if Chromecast and Google Home are connected to the same network again.How do I AirPlay from Chromecast? ›
Start mirroring your laptop to Chromecast. To do this, click the Chromecast extension in Chrome, click the arrow in the top right corner, click cast entire screen, and click your Chromecast. You should now see your laptop screen on Chromecast. Launch Mirroring360 and set it up.
Why can't I cast my phone to my TV with Chromecast? ›
If you're having trouble casting video using Chromecast built-in (formerly Google Cast) functionality to your Android TV, make sure you're using the current version of the Google Cast Receiver. For best results, make sure your Google Cast Receiver is updated to version 1.33 or higher.Can you screen mirror from iPhone to Mac? ›
You can use a nearby Mac to watch videos, view photos, and play audio streamed from your iPhone. You can also mirror your iPhone screen to the Mac (macOS 12 or later required).How do I cast my Mac to my TV without HDMI? ›
- On the Mac, click the Apple logo in the top left corner, and then System Preferences.
- Click Displays. Click "Displays." Stefan Ionescu.
- Select your TV from the AirPlay Display drop-down menu.
AirPlay Mirroring lets you send what's on your Mac to an HDTV wirelessly with Apple TV. Make sure your Mac and Apple TV are on the same network. Click Control Center in the menu bar, click the Screen Mirroring icon , then choose your Apple TV. If asked, enter a four-digit code on your Mac.Is screen mirroring the same as AirPlay? ›
Screen mirroring will display everything on your iPhone's screen on the TV, so everything you do on your phone will be visible on the big screen. When you use AirPlay, you're playing media from your phone to your television without sharing your screen on the TV.Why can't I AirPlay my Mac to my TV? ›
Make sure the device is on and connected to Wi-Fi
If AirPlay is not working make sure that your iOS device is close to the Apple TV and check that both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network first. If for some reason this doesn't help, try restarting both your Apple TV and your iOS device.
Some devices (like the iPhone 10 and 11) let you manually enlarge the screen for a better view. You can do it by enlarging the screen by pinch and zoom. Alternatively, enable a full width screen option if the app you are mirroring supports this feature.Why is Chromecast not full screen? ›
You need to change it to “16:9” or possibly “Original”, “Native” or “Just Scan”. Try changing the picture settings until it looks normal. If you are sharing your laptop or tablet screen to the TV then it will probably leave black bars at the side if your device's screen isn't wide-s...How do I make my iPhone full screen on my TV HDMI? ›
Apple's official Lightning Digital AV Adapter is pricey, but it'll let you mirror an iPhone or iPad on your TV with no hassles. Setup is easy: Just plug the HDMI cable into your TV on one end and the adapter on the other, plug the Lightning cable into your iOS device, and set the TV to the appropriate input.How do I improve my screen mirroring connection? ›
- Connect to the same network. Your phone or tablet should be connected to the same network as your Smart TV. ...
- Allow permissions on your TV. ...
- Check your TV's software. ...
- Adjust the aspect ratio on your phone or tablet. ...
- Reboot your TV and mobile device.
How do I enlarge my iPhone screen for a movie? ›
- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Display Zoom.
- Select Larger Text to make all the text on iPhone larger.
- Tap Done, then tap Use Zoomed.
- Choose Apple menu > System Settings (or System Preferences).
- Click Displays.
- Make sure that your TV is selected in Display Settings, then adjust picture size using the Underscan setting, if available for your TV.
Display settings for Chromecast with Google TV
- Resolution: Select your preferred screen resolution.
- Text scaling: Enlarge or decrease the onscreen text size.
- Dynamic range and color format: Select your preferred formats.
- Press the Menu button on your remote.
- Select Picture.
- Select Screen Adjustment.
- From here you can adjust aspect ratio, screen fit, and screen position.
AirPlay lets you share videos, photos, music, and more from Apple devices to your Apple TV, favorite speakers, and popular smart TVs.How do I display my iPhone on my TV? ›
- Open up the video you want to mirror on your screen.
- On the top corner of your screen, you'll see an output option.
- Tap that option.
- Select AirPlay and tap on the option that has your Smart TVs name on it.
- Select the option and start mirroring now.
Follow these easy steps:
- 1 | Go to Settings > Screen Time > Always Allow. ...
- 2 | Scroll down. ...
- 3 | Now MirrorMeister is always allowed to use, as you can see: